33363RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Tandy 1000 RLX

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Dec 6, 2013
      On 12/6/2013 tedheadster [whiteheadm@...] wrote:

      > I have come across a Tandy 1000 RLX. It appears to be an Intel 80286
      > machine, but I'm not really sure.
      >
      > Does anybody want this machine or can they tell me about it?

      This is similar in spirit to the XT286 with some Tandy strangeness
      thrown in just for fun.

      It is an 80286 CPU with an 8 bit bus and only one slot. It has a built
      in 8 bit XT-IDE interface
      (that only works with specifit 8 bit capable drives).

      It has VGA out, an HD floppy and PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors.
      MS-DOS and deskmate is in RAM

      The 34 pin floppy cable also carries power to the drive. Be careful if
      you need to replace the floppy.

      There is some good information at
      http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/RLRLX.html and
      http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/1320.htm

      In case you can't tell, I love all TRS-80/Tandy machines. Here are the
      specs from
      Support.radioshack.com

      TANDY 1000 RLX (250-1452/53) Features Faxback Doc. #
      1293

      * 10/5 Mhz 80L286-10 microprocessor.
      * 512K RAM on Main Logic Board (80ns).
      * Expansion for an additional 512K RAM (80ns).
      * 101 key PS/2 style keyboard.
      * PS/2 compatible mouse port.
      * Built in VGA compatible video port.
      * 256K of video memory.
      * In board XT IDE Smartdrive port.
      * On board FDC that can support two floppy drives
      (1.44 Meg or 720K).
      * 1.44 Meg internal 3.5" floppy drive.
      * One DB-25 parallel port.
      * One DB-9 RS-232 serial port.
      * Two joystick ports.
      * One board real time clock chip.
      * A 10 inch XT compatible expansion slot.
      * MS-DOS and Deskmate Desktop in ROM.
      * Enhanced speech and sound support.

      73 de Kelly
      KB2SYD