33056Re: [midatlanticretro] Help identifying MFM drive

  • Systems Glitch
    Oct 31, 2013
      > Modern drives, though, are probably a total loss when they
      > decide they're done, no? I would imagine they're not worth
      > the effort, though I'd be glad to be wrong about that.

      Depends on the mode of failure. I've swapped dead logic boards on modern drives to get around controller/firmware failure and recover data. For the most part, modern drives are designed to enter failure modes that protect the data so that it can be recovered professionally if need be. Of course, if everyone made regular backups...

      We had a recent failure at work that we suspect is a logic board failure: a 250 GB SATA drive dropped to PIO mode with a write speed limit of 3 MB/sec. Not worth messing with as the drive was well past its MTBF, but we were able to copy 100% of the data from it.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic