33055Re: [midatlanticretro] Help identifying MFM drive

  • David Riley
    Oct 31, 2013
      On Oct 31, 2013, at 10:38 AM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > There is a point when you have nothing to lose! I have learned a lot about
      > hard drives in the past two or three years. I used to chuck them when they
      > failed, but they're actually fixable if you're patient and you have a clean
      > space.

      It really depends on what's broken. A head crash is usually
      catastrophic. I have a number of <4GB IDE drives that aren't
      working, but I haven't bothered opening them up to figure
      them out; if anyone wants some, they're welcome to them for
      the price of shipping (I know Cory S. had expressed interest
      at one time).

      Modern drives, though, are probably a total loss when they
      decide they're done, no? I would imagine they're not worth
      the effort, though I'd be glad to be wrong about that.

      - Dave
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic