33053RE: [midatlanticretro] Help identifying MFM drive

    Oct 31, 2013
      > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Help identifying MFM drive
      >
      > Systems Glitch wrote:
      > >
      > > I've had my Seagate Wren II open before, and it still works with
      > > nothing other than factory defects. It developed a shrill squeak
      >
      > I had a Micropolis do something similar way back when, but as well
      > as squealing, it stopped working altogether. I carefully opened it
      > up and discovered that the spindle break was refusing to disengage.
      > I removed the whole break assembly, closed it up and got several
      > good years of service from it before I retired the whole (XT if I
      > remember right) computer.

      There is a point when you have nothing to lose! I have learned a lot about
      hard drives in the past two or three years. I used to chuck them when they
      failed, but they're actually fixable if you're patient and you have a clean
      space.