33041Re: [midatlanticretro] Help identifying MFM drive

  • Systems Glitch
    Oct 30, 2013
      I've had my Seagate Wren II open before, and it still works with nothing other than factory defects. It developed a shrill squeak that made it essentially unusable so I opened it in search of what needed grease. It turned out to be the spindle ground brush, which is external. Wasn't in a clean room, but it wasn't in a dusty shed either.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 20:36:16 -0500
      Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Well regardless of what it is, it's not going to work for much longer,
      > > having been opened to air like that.
      > >
      > Just as a side note, I (almost) got a hard drive working again after
      > opening it up. It took a cleanroom, a good bit of deionized water, some
      > isopropyl alcohol, and a lot of patience. I took some pictures at one
      > point. It was not low-level formatting intially, but after taking it apart,
      > cleaning all the platters, etc., it worked again for a few months, until it
      > wouldn't spin up without manual intervention anymore.
      >
      > Found the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/LbfZb
      >
      > Kyle
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic