33024Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: SCSI ZIP Drive Question

    Oct 29 3:15 PM
      On 10/29/2013 06:11 PM, jeff_s_jonas@... wrote:
      > I was always suspicious of ZIP drives and somehow avoided them at home,
      > work & school. A 1 gig USB drive got me thru my masters' degree.
      > At home I used full size QIC tape drives for backups, then PD
      > (phase-differential) 5.25" optical drives. And external SCSI hard drives.
      > I was given some 1 gig Jaz drives & cartridges but I think I ruined them
      > by using the SCSI controller's low level formatting
      > Mac folks preferred Syquest drives and I salvaged a similar removable
      > 5.25" hard drive cartridge from an AT&T phone system (Definity?) Long
      > before that were 8" LARK removable cartridges and before that 14"
      > platters in pizza cases or diskpacks up to 11 platters. Been there, done
      > that.

      For me, the most reliable media have been, in decreasing order of

      - 9-track magtape
      - DEC RL01/RL02
      - Floppy disks
      - Zip disks (100MB version only)
      - 8" and 5.25" Bernoulli (the nearly-identical predecessor of Zip)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ