33011Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: SCSI ZIP Drive Question

  • David Riley
    Oct 28, 2013
      On Oct 28, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Ray Sills wrote:

      > Bottom line: the Zip and Jaz disks did yeoman work, with few failures.

      I generally tend to agree on Zip drives, especially the 100MB
      versions; they're very robust and reliable. Later ones (both
      drives and disks for 250MB and 750MB variants) are somewhat
      less so, in my experience.

      However, I have TERRIBLE experiences with almost all Jaz
      media and drives I've worked with. They generally worked
      fine when new, but the drives were quite fragile and the
      disks seem to fail with age. I have about a dozen Jaz disks
      here which worked fine when they were last used about a
      decade ago. When I tried to fire them up again last year to
      use for some vintage work, NONE of them were usable and ALL
      failed "long format" across multiple drives. I have no
      working Jaz media at this point, though I don't actually
      know if it's the disks or the drives at fault.

      - Dave
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic