32957Re: [midatlanticretro] [OT] Soldering Iron Tip Issues

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Oct 25, 2013
      On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

      > Fine sand paper (#400) is definitely a mistake, but if the tip won't tin any other way, it's garbage anyway.

      Weller and Plato both sell polishing bars intended for removing really heavy deposits of dross and burned-on stuff from soldering iron tips without wrecking the plating. They can be used hot or cold. I use a Weller WPB1 with my Hexacon tips. I've never replaced a tip due to damage from the polishing bar. IIRC, the polishing bar cost $10-15...well worth it if you can save even one tip, and I've had mine for years.

      That is an excellent suggestion.  I'll look in to that.

      - Alex
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic