32956Re: [midatlanticretro] [OT] Soldering Iron Tip Issues

  • Systems Glitch
    Oct 25, 2013
      > Fine sand paper (#400) is definitely a mistake, but if the tip won't tin any other way, it's garbage anyway.

      Weller and Plato both sell polishing bars intended for removing really heavy deposits of dross and burned-on stuff from soldering iron tips without wrecking the plating. They can be used hot or cold. I use a Weller WPB1 with my Hexacon tips. I've never replaced a tip due to damage from the polishing bar. IIRC, the polishing bar cost $10-15...well worth it if you can save even one tip, and I've had mine for years.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic