32954RE: Re: [midatlanticretro] [OT] Soldering Iron Tip Issues

  • joshbensadon
    Oct 24 6:25 PM

       Dave, Good point about the temperature, I never thought about that and it would explain it.
      I'm sure David can test that out.
      Fine sand paper (#400) is definitely a mistake, but if the tip won't tin any other way, it's garbage anyway.
      I have never heard of any metals that would contaminate a tip so bad that it can't be tinned.
      I hope this gets solved, cause it sounds like I could learn a thing or two here.

      ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On 10/24/2013 12:12 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > On 10/23/2013 10:42 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
      >> I was trying to create a new power harness, and I stripped some wire, I then went to
      >> tin the stripped ends, and one side just would not tin. So, I cleaned my iron tip,

      >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

      > That brass mesh...A lot of people use it; it's very common...but I myself do not
      > recommend it. It puts a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the plating. I use
      > exclusively wet sponges, and MG Chemicals tip tinner.

      I have tinner from around 1985, I haven' had to use it since then. ;-) I haven't
      used my backup tip either (but I did tin it when I got it).

      Yes, I'm still using that tip but I do keep it clean. I've found that I can
      dip it into a solder puddle (collected solder from solder removal) and it helps
      keep the tip clean (the junk tends to float out in the hot solder puddle). I
      also use the wet sponge method (on a real sponge not the plastic junk).

      > Sandpaper is right out. Never ever do that. It will remove the plating in a few
      > strokes.

      The thought of sand paper on my iron's tip makes me cringe.

      > Now, as to the great mystery about the second tip...that's weird.

      I've seen some plastics temporarily do that but the puddle usually helps
      to get the junk out (eventually).

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog