32561Re: [midatlanticretro] Friday tech lectures @ VCF East?

  • Randall Kindig
    Oct 1, 2013
      Evan, although I'm not 100% committed to coming yet, I'm pushing my significant other hard about going to VCF East.  In my case, I would be willing, and likely would, go early to attend Friday sessions since I'm coming from so far away anyway (Indianapolis).  For me it would depend on exactly what was being covered and in what detail.  For instance, I've always wanted to learn how to solder so I could repair and/or enhance vintage machines.  Or, building a replica machine.  There are many topics I would be interested in attending.

      Randy Kindig

      On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      Guys,

      ** Hypothetically ** ... if we add Friday to the VCF East schedule, and
      if we fill that day with awesome how-to sessions, would you take the
      extra day off work / travel / attend?

      Sessions would probably be skills-based, not machine-based, because
      there are so many different interests/brands that we couldn't please
      everyone -- that is why we have beginner's classes during the main part
      of the show (Apple II for Dummies, etc.)

      For example, on Friday there could be how-to classes on subjects such as
      o-scopes, power supplies, cosmetic restoration, assembly programming,
      memory, disk drives, teletype machines, etc.

      We'd want to hear "I'll be there!" from a bunch of people before we
      commit to this idea. VCF East is MARCH's major annual fundraiser, so
      there is some risk involved if we open a third day and not enough people go.

      At least one high-ranking MARCHin -- I'm not saying who! :) -- told me,
      "Nobody wants to sit through classes all day". I respectfully disagree.

      This would be a morning/afternoon schedule. That way, people can set up
      their exhibits, consignment sales, etc. in the evening.

      Constructive comments encouraged! :)

      --
      Randy
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic