32508RE: RE: Mid-Atlantic Altair CP/M

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Sep 25, 2013
      In 1982, Zilog Office Systems sold Z80 systems using DSDD 8" floppy drives as well as the Z8000 based System 8000 with one QIC drive and NO floppies. They linked together via serial ports, or Z-net (their version of Ethernet).

      Around 1984, I bought my Servo-8 6 MHz Z80 SBC (single board computer), I started with surplus 5.25" drives from a DEC Robin, but upgraded to DSDD 8" floppy drives (which were still over $100 on the surplus market).

      With 1k sectors, a DSDD 8" floppy holds 1.3 meg, but each mfgr used their own format (sector size, sector skew, etc.). SSSD IBM format was the only universal CP/M format for data interchange among makers.

      ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I love this board!!!Great post!!!Anyway, I personally don't think they disappeared. I've have heard from another MARCH member who will remain nameless, that the IMSAI in WarGames was an "anachronism", and I didn't agree what that. That's why I made my original comment which Bill's screen shot confirmed my feelings on. Not that I wanted to go out of my way to prove this person wrong, it's just I remember s100 machines as a teenager but they didn't have any games that I wanted to play so I stuck with Apple. Then again I don't put anything past Hollywood, they had a MacBook destroy an entire alien invasion force with a virus, I guess when you have Jeff Goldblum you can survive dinosaurs and alien invasions.BTW: The only "1983" machine I remember still using 8" floppies was my dad's IBM system 36 or maybe it was 34. In 1983 as a teen I only remember 5 1/4 for home computers.Cheers, Corey
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic