32501Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Mid-Atlantic Altair CP/M

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Sep 24, 2013
      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

      >>> I've have heard from another MARCH member who will remain nameless,
      >>>that the IMSAI in WarGames was an "anachronism"
      >
      >Gee I wonder who. :)
      >
      >When I use that word -- whether it's to non-techie museum visitors, or
      >to the Yahoo Movies writer, etc. -- my intention is show them that
      >appliance 8-bitters were dominant by the time the movie came out.

      This discussion and argument is getting old and tiring.

      A couple of things to ponder, especially since many here were still
      wetting their nappies or weren't even born when this movie and or the
      IMSAI 8080 were produced and or sold.

      The movie's production and its filming started WELL before its 1983
      release date.

      From <http://http://oldcomputers.net/imsai8080.html> , the assembled
      price for the IMSAI was $931.

      Using the inflation calculator at <http://www.westegg.com/inflation/>
      $931 in 1978 equates to $3232.10 in 2012! I can tell you that I would
      NOT spend $3K+ for any computer for my High School kid (assuming mine
      were still in High School) today. My 2 boys went off to college with
      MacBooks and I spent nowhere near $3K for either one of those MacBooks!

      1978 was a different era. Mom and dad did NOT cower to little Johnny's
      or little Suzie's every whim and demand. Any kid then would have been
      damned lucky to have had his/her parents shell out that kind of money
      for such a hobby!

      That era did not see people tossing technology out with the bath water
      every couple of months such as is the norm today with the mobile phone
      and iToy upgrade mindset today.

      Ergo, I, personally, do not believe that seeing the IMSAI 8080 used in
      the movie WarGames is such an anachronism.