32452Re: [midatlanticretro] Rubber rollers for Documation 600L reader - any hints

  • Mike Loewen
    Sep 20, 2013
      On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, diagonalboard wrote:

      > I am helping a friend restore a Documation 600L card reader whose rubber rollers have dried out and cracked - otherwise it is in good shape. Anyone have spare rollers or who could point me at a source for them?
      >
      > I will go down the obvious route of looking for usable substitutes that match the dimensions, but someone might have parts, a machine that has good rollers but is unrepairable for other reasons, or know of a good supplier.
      >
      > This machine will be used at a museum in the UK to read and save card decks. The restoration staff at the museum has searched in vain for the parts and didn't have any luck getting a custom-manufactured substitute. I agreed to lend a hand from afar.
      >
      > Carl

      There have been a couple of people on the CCtalk list that have
      recommended Terry's Rubber Rollers & Wheels as a possibility:

      http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

      You might also contact the Computer History Museum in Mountainview, CA
      to see if they have any suggestions. They use the Documations to archive
      card decks.

      I live in fear of the day when my Documation M1000-L's rollers turn to
      goo.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...