32435Re: [midatlanticretro] SCSI ZIP Drive Question

  • David Riley
    Sep 17, 2013
      On Sep 17, 2013, at 20:59, <rkushnier@...> wrote:

      SCSI Zip Drive Delivery will be Late

      The purpose of this exercise was to transfer the contents of forty Iomega 100 MB Zip disks onto a write-once DVD, and to then to scrub the zip disks so that I could donate them, and their drives.

      Normally, I trust magnetic media for long term storage, but historically the vintage Iomega Zip drive has had a terrible reputation; and its notorious, “Click of Death” is legendary. So, I wanted to retrieve my data before it was too late. Aside from the DVD copy, I planned to slip a copy of the old data onto several one terabyte SATA hard drives as a backup. Not that they represent anything really archival either... but that's another story.

      As an addendum to my previous email, one should obviously take *some* measures to erase what's on the disks. I don't know what's on your disks, but I bought a large bag of disks at a yard sale here in Philly about a year ago and finally got around to checking the disks out to make sure they were at least working. About half of them were full of Asian porn. No lie.

      - Dave
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic