32396Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

    Sep 12, 2013
      On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
      > What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
      > actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
      > can get them by email.
      > The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
      > go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
      > but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
      > then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
      > haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
      > *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
      > sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
      > deal...

      I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
      developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
      I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
      shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
      I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

      Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
      I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
      time anyway so it's generally not a problem.

      > That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
      > hands. :-)

      You and me both!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ