32378Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Sep 11, 2013
      David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

      >I just use it as mail and it just works. No fuss, no muss. The only time I'=
      >d need to use the web interface is to look at the archives, as others have =
      >said.

      That's ALL I use. I signed on via email just like have have in the past with
      dozens of mailing list. However, I'm concerned that Yahoo, while lusting to
      accrue more saleable data, could soon decide to cut off the mailing list only
      subscribers.

      >I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this one, since I've done low-level web =
      >hosting for years. The one time I hosted a forum, it was a DISASTER; porn s=
      >pammers invaded it within a week despite some pretty decent security measur=
      >es. If you're going to insist on switching from Yahoo, PLEASE make sure it'=
      >s to a format that allows for access as a mailing list.

      I run the progressive rock internet radio station, Aural Moon. Its web site
      has a very active forum and there are very few forum SPAMmers. That's due to
      me incorporating some specialized PHP scripting that exploits StopForumSpam's
      database as well as providing a cooling down period for a new user before he
      or she can post in the forum. The latter is based on an observation that the
      typical forum SPAMmer is a signup-and-SPAM and never to be seen again user.