32340Re: [midatlanticretro] SCSI ZIP Drive Question

  • David Riley
    Sep 6, 2013
      On Sep 6, 2013, at 11:50, <rkushnier@...> wrote:

      Hi Guys,
      Just wanted to know if MARCH can use a fully working SCSI Zip Drive for the Museum. Also, if I reformat a Zip Disk, does that make it secure enough to give away?

      I'll go ahead and say MARCH should definitely consider taking it, as ZIP disks are great for bringing up PDP-11s and VAXen if you have SCSI cards (which we do). Among other things, you can just blast images from SimH directly to them, which makes it easy to start with a preconfigured OS.

      As far as the formatting, you probably want to do the "long format" option in the Iomega tools; this will also let the drive reassess the quality of the disks, which is important for older media.

      I have a quantity of ZIP 100 disks that is much larger than I actually need; I'll be glad to donate about a dozen to MARCH next time I'm up. The 100s were actually quite reliable, despite the "click of death" horror stories.

      - Dave

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic