32329Re: [midatlanticretro] more on big Compaq machines

  • Cory Smelosky
    Sep 4, 2013
      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, David Riley wrote:

      > On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
      >
      >> I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
      >> just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
      >> bugs.
      >>
      >> Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)
      >
      > Erm, that IS a P3 chipset. Well, it's specifically a P6 bus chipset, so it supports P2 and P3 (and, theoretically, PPro, but good luck with making that fit). It was one of the most popular P3 chipsets for a reason, too. :-)

      I'm one of those people that likes to forget the P3 and later exists and
      as such it's a Pentium/PII chipset. ;)

      It was a fantastic chipset in my dual PII/PIII board though.

      > I'll grant that some of the later P3-targeted chipsets were garbage (especially some of the third-party "budget" ones), but there are a number of really good ones as well. The ServerWorks chipsets are pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3 machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

      The budget ones were just awful. I do agree with some of the good server
      chipsets though. Those were fantastic.

      > - Dave

      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff