32184Re: [midatlanticretro] Baltimore

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Aug 23, 2013
      I really wish that I wasn't out of town (in Maine, no less!).  I hope that you have a great time, Mike!

      - Alex

      On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

      I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
      only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
      back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

      On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
      exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
      I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
      inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
      Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

      I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
      and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
      sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
      my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

      It was -awesome-.

      I really should release that code.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ