32171Re: The Demo setup for MARCH's Altair- current status

  • s100doctor
    Aug 22 9:26 AM

      > Corey -- "primitive and useless" isn't quite fair.
      >
      > Everyone -- in Corey's defense, he is just trying to find a balance between showing visitors what early S100 systems could do, in terms of their applications, vs. what it takes for we museum guides to demonstrate those applications. Let's not gang up on the man for trying to help.

      If several people say the same thing independently, it's not a "gang", it's informative. And it's not personal. What Evan reasonably states is a common problem, not just Corey's. It's MY problem too, on my site, with my vintage work. And other's as well, who own collections and who have Web sites. And museums, like MARCH.

      Also: the answer is not just more "apps". "Apps" are for smartphones, in the modern world of networking, with billions of computers. What was it like, in a world with DOZENS of computers? Or THOUSANDS? That cost more than a car, or a house? Can you imagine that?

      Altairs needed a lot of hardware, software, and creativity. As produced, they were "hopelessly primitive". It's about how they were USED, and how that process contributed to creating personal computing. I described some of that previously. I think it's an exciting story. But it will require some counter-narrative, documents, posters, handouts. And some construction and re-construction of artifacts. MARCH has a fair amount of stuff to choose from, and people who know what I'm talking about.

      I think there's a simple choice. Either show the Altair as "hopelessly primitive", "demoed" in its native "mint" state, which was never how it was used. Or SHOW and interpret the history around it that created personal computing, with artifacts and documents, and a narrative. The latter is harder work, no doubt about that.

      But this is an opportunity, not a "gang-up".

      Herb Johnson
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic