32064Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Museum report + various updates

    Aug 13, 2013
      On 08/13/2013 02:33 PM, corey986 wrote:
      > 22 years is vintage for a supercomputer....

      I would agree, but bear in mind that most production supercomputers
      today in less-than-glitzy applications that don't get much press
      coverage (weather prediction, geology, oil exploration...which covers
      90% of supercomputer installations today) are running machines anywhere
      from 8 to 15 years old.

      The whole "this ten-million-dollar machine is ancient, almost a whole
      year old now, so it can obviously no longer process data, so we've gotta
      scrap it and buy a new one!" attitude that permeates the corporate PC
      world does not fly in scientific computing, because in that world,
      clueless management is the exception rather than the rule.

      So yes, a 22-year-old vector super is quite long in the tooth...but
      not by as much as one might think.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ