31982Notes on floppy diskette writing

  • Mike Loewen
    Aug 8, 2013
      I've had to write out some diskette images for some folks recently, and
      thought I should pass on a couple of things. I typically use Dave
      Dunfield's Imagedisk (IMD) utility to read and write diskette images, and
      there's a somewhat dated list of compatible motherboards and controllers
      on his site:

      Based on that, I had found an Abit KT7A-RAID motherboard on Ebay and
      installed it in an old tower case. I used that for quite a while, before
      I discovered that it would NOT write diskettes in 500K FM mode, making it
      useless for writing SD 8" diskettes.

      The KT7A has an ISA slot, and I had a couple of Adaptec 1542
      controllers on hand. I disabled the onboard floppy controller and tried
      both a 1542B and a 1542CF, and neither would work right. It appeared to
      be a problem with the IRQ for the floppy controller, which could not be
      assigned to the ISA slot. So, back to Ebay to look for another

      I finally found an Abit KV8PRO, which was also on Dave's list. This
      one had a 1.8GHz Athlon 64 CPU, but no ISA slots. I ran the TESTFDC
      program from IMD and it passed all but the double-density 128-byte sector
      tests, which was to be expected. I haven't yet found a machine that uses
      that format. The KV8PRO controller was able to read and write 8" SD
      images with no problem.

      The Catweasel MK4+ seems to work okay with the KV8PRO, but I'll need to
      do some more testing.

      If you don't already have one, get one of John Wilson's FDADAP boards
      to connect your 8" drives:

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...