31965Re: [midatlanticretro] RLV11 Controllers

    Aug 7, 2013
      On 08/07/2013 12:29 PM, David Riley wrote:
      >> Does MARCH or anyone in the group have QBus RLV11 controllers? We
      >> have several RL01/02 drives, but I don't know if we can hook any of
      >> them up to our much lower power QBus systems.
      >>
      >> Alternately, does anybody have some they would trade for an RL11
      >> Unibus controller or something of similar value?
      >
      > RLV12 would be an equally good (probably better) option; it's the
      > single-board version of the controller and doesn't require any CD
      > rows (some of our smaller systems may have serpentine backplanes,
      > which won't do for the RLV11 because they don't have real CD rows).

      And note well, if you plug an RLV11 board set into a Q/Q backplane,
      SMOKE will result. I learned this the hard way, with someone else's
      RLV11 that I was borrowing, in 1985, when an RLV11 was worth quite a lot
      of money. It took me quite awhile to pay for that with my after-school job.

      Anyway, I have several RLV12s, but all in systems. I can bring one
      to MARCH for testing or other work at some point, but it's going back
      with me. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ