31951Re: [midatlanticretro] RK05 Drive

    Aug 6, 2013
      On 08/06/2013 11:38 AM, tedheadster wrote:
      > Dang, do I understand correctly that the RK11-D controller for an RK05 disk is FOUR Unibus boards?
      >
      > M7254 RK11-D U RK05 status control module
      > M7255 RK11-D U RK05 disk control module
      > M7256 RK11-D U RK05 registers module (data path)
      > M7257 RK11-D U RK05 bus control module
      >
      > How do you have room for anything else in the computer?

      No, they are not Unibus boards. The are "RK11-D" boards. One of them
      implements a Unibus interface. But be careful, as the RK11-D also requires
      an RK11-D backplane. It looks like a Unibus backplane, but it isn't; it's
      specifically wired to be an RK11-D.

      As far as anything else, remember that during the time of RK05s, they were
      "big system" drives. One would rarely have an RK05 subsystem on a machine
      whose CPU is in a 3U chassis; 6U was more common for larger systems, and then
      there are the even larger ones as used in the 11/45 and 11/70. And then, of
      course, expansion chassis.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ