31829Re: anyone seen this old computer?

  • Jeff Jonas
    Jul 31 4:53 AM
      > > Those boards are a work of art. Look at those layouts!

      > Yes, gorgeous. Those are hand-taped boards
      > designed by someone who cared.

      I was disappointed by the book "the art of the engineer"
      because it didn't have things
      I considered the human touch in machinery,
      such as decorative spokes inside wheels and gears.
      Even lab equipment had style with decorated panels
      (kinda like border decorations)
      and meters with simple yet elegant pointers
      that were probably inspired by clock hands.

      As to PC board layout, I remember a fellow
      at a drafting table using red/blue for a 2 sided board
      with photo separation for the 2 sides.
      I have a few scraps of "rubylith": a peel-off
      red plastic that was used for PC board design.
      It was cut by hand (X-acto knife, compass with blade)
      or by a plotter with a cutter
      (similar to the hobby/craft decal cutters).

      PC board layout software of the 80s to 90s
      was really horrible and looked it.
      Only horizontal or vertical traces,
      and later 45 degree, but no concept of curves.
      Those PC boards are an eyesore :-(

      Even chip design in the 80s required HUGE color plots
      for manual review.

      -- jeffj
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic