31599Re: RS232 Again?

  • RonK
    Jul 11 4:57 PM
      Hi Guys,

      Thanks for all your help. I really did learn alot from your responses, and would like to share the information with others who are trying to troubleshoot their broken Seagate drives. There are lots of folks out there who are desperate to resurrect their data.
      I believe the adapters on eBay sell for around $5 which is probably less than the cost of trying to put one together from scratch.

      Regards,
      Ron

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The problem is that RS232 employs inverted levels, and an RS232 level
      > > converter performs that inversion. Further, the USB<->serial adapter
      > > likely DOES include a DC-DC converter to generate higher (but likely not
      > > very high) voltages than the 5V supplied by USB.
      > >

      > Thanks Dave, I was wondering when someone would catch that "inverted signal" issue. I think there are a number of RS-232 to TTL converter boards available on ebay. Of course you know it's nothing more than a DB-9F and a MAX-232 chip, but it's nice to have it built for you.
      >
      > If anyone is interested, I have some blank boards that were made to fit inside a DB-9 shell and provide TTL output, actually they even have a place to install a PIC chip. It's part of a project I did to build a cheap low resolution 4 channel data logger. Funny, it's the same product I was talking about on the SEBHC forum.
      >
      > :)J

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic