31592Re: [midatlanticretro] RS232 Again?

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Jul 11, 2013
      > My main concern though, were the required voltage levels. It
      > seemed that the Seagate drive wanted TTL levels. So it was
      > recommended that the use of an RS232 to TTL adapter be
      > employed. I didn't have one of those, but I did have a
      > USB-to-RS232 adapter. I figured that unless the adapter
      > employed some sort of voltage doubler to get the voltages up
      > to the normal Rs-232 levels, I would be safe with the 5 volt
      > USB power. Well that didn't work.  See my overclock
      > post above for more details.

      It DOES contain the necessary charge pumps to create the proper RS232 voltage levels. There now exists a chip, the MAX232, that, when coupled with a few capacitors, can generate proper RS232 levels with only a 5v input, and serves as a complete receiver/transmitter package, replacing the 1488/1489 pair and it's required voltage sources.

      So, you can use one of those chips to build a very trivial RS232/TTL serial interface, then connect it to your RS232/USB adapter, or to the RS232 port on a computer or terminal.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic