31504RE: [midatlanticretro] Semi OT DEC Alpha CDROM and video

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Jul 2, 2013
      Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> writes:

      >Hi all,
      >
      >I am trying to get several DEC alpha systems up and running some AlphaServe=
      >r 2100's and an Alpha Station 230.
      >
      >My systems are either missing or have defective CDROM drives(not all surpri=
      >sing for the age). Is there anything special about the SCSI CDROM drives us=
      >ed by the systems? I have a defective one and it looks to be a bog standard=
      > early 90's Toshiba drive.

      That'd probably be a DEC RRD45 (Toshiba XM-5401B). Any SCSI CD-ROM might be
      usable but the drive MUST be jumpered for 512 bytes; not for 2048 bytes.

      >Also my Alpha station 230 is missing a video card, it has PCI slots not EIS=

      Maybe an AlphaStation 250???

      >A like the AlphaServer 2100 so I can not snag the video card out of it. Whe=
      >re there any special requirements for that card?=20

      Try an Elsa Gloria. Simple graphics, no frills. There were several Power-
      Storm graphics cards supported but I'd have to find a support matrix to see
      which are supported by both VMS Tru64.

      >I plan on running True64 UNIX and Open VMS on these systems.

      I can help you on the VMS side. I never touched Tru64.