31477Re: [midatlanticretro] VAX 780 vs. 750

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Jul 1, 2013
      David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

      >--BqNHK9zXsP9xi-rTkNIg4ETyjTgaeSiFZoZGmiM
      >
      >On Jul 1, 2013, at 2:30 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I know the /80 was first; how did the /50 differ?
      >
      >The 11/750 was a smaller, slower, cost-reduced version of the 11/780. The
      >11/730 (even later), was a smaller, even slower, further cost-reduced version
      >of the same. My recollection is that most of the size and cost reduction was
      >accomplished by using more highly integrated gate arrays to replace discrete
      >TTL logic chips (which, at the time, were faster than the gate arrays).
      >
      >I believe the 11/730 was small enough to be easily rack-mountable, while the
      >11/750 occupies most of a short cabinet. I could be misremembering, though;
      >I've never actually seen any in the flesh (part of why I'm excited for the
      >workshop).

      The 11/780 was the first VAX. It was built primarily with discrete TTL logic.
      The 11/750 was subsequent to the 11/780 and was built using Gate Arrays. Both
      the 11/780 and the 11/750 implemented the full architecture instruction set of
      304 instructions and all 13 (if I've recalled and counted correctly) address
      modes. The 11/750 was significantly smaller and less expensive. I'd take, if
      I had the power, an 11/780 over an 11/750 any day.

      FYI, Evan, you'll need 208V 3-phase for the 11/780 and, likely, many other of
      the older kit that's been amassed.

      http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dec/vax/780/EK-SI780-IN-002_insta_Jan82.pdf

      Has details on installation and site requirements for the 11/780.