31473Re: [midatlanticretro] VAX 780 vs. 750

  • David Riley
    Jul 1, 2013
      On Jul 1, 2013, at 2:30 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > I know the /80 was first; how did the /50 differ?

      The 11/750 was a smaller, slower, cost-reduced version of the 11/780. The
      11/730 (even later), was a smaller, even slower, further cost-reduced version
      of the same. My recollection is that most of the size and cost reduction was
      accomplished by using more highly integrated gate arrays to replace discrete
      TTL logic chips (which, at the time, were faster than the gate arrays).

      I believe the 11/730 was small enough to be easily rack-mountable, while the
      11/750 occupies most of a short cabinet. I could be misremembering, though;
      I've never actually seen any in the flesh (part of why I'm excited for the
      workshop).

      - Dave
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic