31444Re: ADM-3A Power Transformer Wanted - Introduction

  • equalizer700
    Jun 29, 2013
      Hi. Just joined the group. I originally found it by searching around looking for info on 8 inch disk drives and have been lurking since. I live in New Hampshire but am originally from the mid-atlantic (DC, MD, WV) so I guess I qualify :-). I am a very old programmer, having started in the IBM 1401 days. In 1975 I hand-built an Altair 8800 that was used in my business from the late 70's until the early 80's. Using the Altair we invented connecting microcomputers to IBM mainframes emulating IBM devices. We connected an Altair to a mainframe using bisync and the protocol for the IBM 3780, which was a remote card reader and printer. We went on to do 3270 both bisync and sdlc, then direct coax connections for 3270 and 5250 and the PC bus. Today I'm still programming, mostly in ASP.NET MVC.

      My interest is in getting my Altair running CP/M as it was in the early 80's. It has a Tarbell SSSD controller and Persci 8" model 270 disk in a Vector Graphic Dual-Stor cabinet (the green one). I have the Tarbell manual, but haven't been able to find any docs on the Persci disk.

      I originally started this project in 2009, then got really sick and let it sit. I'm nearly well now, so you can expect to see more activity coming from this way. I'm happy to help out the group any way I can.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic