31406Re: Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

  • s100doctor
    Jun 23, 2013

      > I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
      > 029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
      > BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
      > the ePROM.

      "MCS-8 Microcomputer Set, 8008 8-bit Parallel Central Processor Unit, User's Manual" - Nov 1973 rev 4 2nd printing

      All references are to BNPF format, none to any hex format, for paper tapes for either software or PROMs. That's likely what Bill is referring to above. Bill's n's are either P for a high or N for a low, what we would call today 1 and 0 respectively.

      from the "Intellec 8/MOD 80 Operator's Manual - preliminary edition" - June 1974

      Appendix D- - Hexadecimal program tape format - quote-

      The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system is a modified memory image, blocked into discrete records. Each record contains record length, record type, memory address, and check sum information in addition to data. A frame by frame description is as
      follows: - end quote

      the description is the Intel Hex Record format of
      :NNAAAATTDDDDDD...CC as described elsewhere. ROM monitor commands are described elsewhere in the manual, to read or write either BNPF or "hexadecimal format" paper tapes.

      I may have more to say about this on my Web site in the future.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic