31383Re: [midatlanticretro] From The Code Project daily - early programming

    Jun 22, 2013
      >> On June 21, 1948, at what was then known as the Victoria University of Manchester, software was born. On that day 65 years ago, a proof-of-concept computer called "Baby"—officially designated as the Manchester Small Scale Experimental Machine—ran the first "program" retrieved not from paper tape or hard-set switches, but from random-access memory.

      There's a book coming out in the next year-ish, written by one of the world's most respected computer historians, that will prove ENIAC successfully ran a stored program earlier than the Manchester machine.

      I'm not at liberty to elaborate on the details, per the author's request.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic