31296Re: Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

  • joshbensadon
    Jun 16, 2013

      > >> "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright
      > > 1983,
      > >> and it describes the format.
      > >
      > > I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
      > > documented
      > > it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
      > > their
      > > data books.

      I don't have a lot of data, but I checked my "intel 8080/8085 Assembly Language Programming" book, c1977,1978,1979 (which I guess means the book is the 3rd reprint or revision? done in 1979.

      Page 1-2, talks about the assembler having an "OBJECT FILE" output that will likely be put in a ROM, but they do not go into any details. My guess, is either... the format wasn't established yet, or (more likely) they were keeping the format proprietary and didn't want to readily publish/share it.
      I believe the latter to be the case, based on the electronics industry at that time.

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

      :)J
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic