31284OT: was [midatlanticretro] Re: Centronics printer/IMSAI success

  • Neil Cherry
    Jun 14, 2013
      On 06/13/2013 11:21 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > All --
      > >
      > > I connected it to my serial/parallel converter, fired up CP/M and went "pip
      > > lpt:=b:file.txt" and it worked! The old ribbon is mostly OK, with a minor
      > > dead spot in it. The printer is slow, somewhat noisy (even with the new foam
      > > padding), but it works, so I'm happy. Ahhh, the sound of dot-matrix
      > > printingÅ
      >
      > Excellent! You just love that sound of random pins firing!
      >
      > Every year at the Pine Wood Derby, I ask the kids to be quiet for a moment as I start up
      > the dot-matrix, then I ask them if they know that sound. They all say it's the printer,
      > but I tell them it's a piece of history! :)J

      During the late 80's the company I worked for (Microcomm) built
      news wire boards for dot matrix printers used in the new industry.
      One nite while listen to NBC-NY News I could hear in the background
      one of our printers priting away like mad (Okidata 82 slimline, yes I
      knew the sounds of each type). And they way I knew was that the story
      on the line was 3 bells. I don't recall the story but it was important.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog