31281RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: 1.3 and 2.6 gig MO optical disks

  • Wesley Furr
    Jun 14, 2013
      Are your 650Mb ones the PD (or was it "PD/CD" or "PD650"?) variety? The
      rewritable cartridge that would go in a drive that would also read regular
      CD's? A place I used to work apparently got excited about them and had a
      handful of drives, etc, that I don't think anyone ever really used. I have
      one of the drives and probably a dozen discs. Seems like it would have been
      a great technology if it had taken off. Of course CD-R's killed it quickly.

      I came close, but never actually got to see or work on a jukebox. Right out
      of high school I worked for a small local computer company...the county IT
      department put out a request for bid on an HP optical jukebox. In order to
      sell it, for some reason, we had to be able to do repair work on it. I took
      a book or online course or something, then took a test and got certified.
      We won the bid and sold it to them and had it drop-shipped. I guess it
      worked great, as I never had a chance to lay my eyes on it...