31273Centronics printer/IMSAI success!

  • Richard Cini
    Jun 13, 2013
      All --

      Some great news tonight. Today I received the 40-pin IDC connectors I ordered for the Centronics 739 printer, so I decided to make up the cable tonight rather than wait until the weekend. It's actually quite easy — 25 conductor ribbon cable and a DB25M solder-cup type connector (you can't use an IDC for the DB25 because of the pinning).

      I connected it to my serial/parallel converter, fired up CP/M and went "pip lpt:=b:file.txt" and it worked! The old ribbon is mostly OK, with a minor dead spot in it. The printer is slow, somewhat noisy (even with the new foam padding), but it works, so I'm happy. Ahhh, the sound of dot-matrix printing…

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers