31265Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Ray Sills
    Jun 13, 2013
      On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
      >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
      >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
      >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
      > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
      > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
      > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those
      > games
      > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
      > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating
      > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then
      > started
      > playing.
      > -Dave
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

      That's the way a lot of kids operate: they push buttons, flip
      switches, and observe what happens. Eventually, (often quickly) they
      figure out what does what and are able to map that into their brains
      and begin serious usage. They simply are not intimidated by something
      "complex and difficult" to understand. You should see my 2 1/2 year
      old grandson navigate his way around my iPhone! Grownups, for
      whatever reason, seem to be afraid of "doing the wrong thing" and
      messing it up. Kids don't care.

      73 de Ray
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic