31233Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • joshbensadon
    Jun 11, 2013
      > Guys, I'm all for having fun at Microsoft's expense ... but does anyone
      > have any * actual * ideas for the Maker Faire exhibit concept? I'm
      > looking for ideas that are very kid-friendly and easy to implement.

      Right, ideas... Hmmm. Well, I know kids love to have something tangible in their hands. Perhaps some printed instructions for them as they enter "the core". Check out some preschool stores for numbered cards. Having the kids go through the core just once is definitely not enough, how about giving the kid an instruction, ie an octal number on a card. Don't use HEX numbers, kids don't understand that. Inside the core, they should look for this number on another printed card, then on the back of that card will be another number that needs to be matched outside of the core at the "Console Table".

      Sorry, it's just a rough idea, but food for thought.

      The numbers can have coloured back grounds so they know where to take the number. There could be 4 parts to the human computer, say the "Console", "Core", "ALU", "Memory"?

      The kid should wait until the operator at the console gives them a card, then they should take that card off into the system. There could even be a line up of kids, each taking a card in succession. The more kids you have, the faster the processor.

      Perhaps, these cards can be placed in plexiglass pockets, so observers (parents) from the outside can see the changes in the various "registers".

      Now we have cards with numbers and colours. With kids running around, there's bound to be a program crash! better pad the floors :)

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic