31224Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

    Jun 10, 2013
      Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.

      We can get a 20x20 space and build a "Be the Bit" maze out of PVC (frame) and painter's tarps (walls). The exhibit will target families. People would enter, start at newly created data, and then follow a path (or different paths based on their decisions?) as the data is temporarily stored, displayed, changed, printed, saved, deleted, etc. ... all of the posters will be written as "you" evolve through a computer. At each decision point we'll use posters to explain very simple concepts and how they haven't changed from Babbage to UNIVAC to PCs to iPhones. At the end we'll have a few computers set up that represent different kinds of I/O plus club literature, etc.

      I think that's an ** awesome ** idea. It will teach general concepts to kids, it'll teach some history, and we can re-use it at the next VCF East or in the museum someday.

      Thoughts?
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic