31116RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Fair price for IMSAI 8080

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Jun 3, 2013
      who88777 wrote:
      > Is it worth pursuing one that only has a Z-80 CPU card in it? I
      > understand some software like MS BASIC won't run on that.

      I think so. First, I run Microsoft MBASIC on one of my S-100 rigs
      that has a Z80. I do recall something about the old paper tape version
      having problems with a Z80, but if you really want to run that, it
      would not be difficult to acquire an 8080 CPU board (I have a stack
      of them). One thing that some people don't seem to understand is that
      "pure" systems were not "the norm" back in the day. Almost any hobbyist
      would start with a minimal system and build it up as funds allowed.
      Upgrading from a 2MHz 8080 to a 4MHz Z80 was very common.

      Bill S.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic