31069Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: CP/M CBIOS LST question

  • Richard Cini
    Jun 1, 2013
      All --

      I solved the printing problem and now have a working modem and printer for my IMSAI.

      Everything checked out with the cables and I was able to get CP/M to print to another terminal (a laptop). At least the CBIOS code worked.

      I had configured the Interfacer I port for "Terminal/Printer" per the manual which has the effect of NULLing the relevant data/handshaking lines. Once it worked with the laptop, this was the big clue I needed.

      I started playing around with serial cables and adapters and I was ultimately able to get the IBM printer to print through a PPI Microbuffer which I am using to do the serial->parallel conversion, once I connected a NULL modem adapter to the serial input cable. Two NULLs makes, well, no NULL. Straight through is the key, and I needed to change the jumper on the Interfacer.

      I just wanted to get this out on the list to save troubleshooting time for some when using a serial/parallel converter and/or print buffer.

      Now I need something to print! Time to fire up WordStar.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers