30959Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Photos from May 18-19 MARCH event weekend

  • David Riley
    May 24, 2013
      On May 24, 2013, at 16:14, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:

      I'm surprised more people aren't posting about how *busy* the event was, and how many systems were worked on, across many brands. From DEC to Tandy and Commodore, some S-100. A fair number of 8-inch floppy drives, even a 9-track tape drive, some Vaxes/Vaxen. Personal stuff and MARCHs stuff too. If all that is on Twitter, it's invisible to me.

      I just haven't had much time to post about it. I had a great deal of fun, and it gave me the uninterrupted diagnosis time to nail down the root of the problems with my 9-track: a dying LM323 5v regulator (I ordered a few new ones from Digi-Key as soon as I got back, and the 5v rail is solid as a rock now; no more intermittent resets!). I still need to replace or repair the Pertec cables, which seem to have gotten pinched; I really don't need 6-foot ones, so I could probably shorten them without trouble.

      So yes, that was my tiny Qbus PDP-11 and tape drive, which is not actually a desktop unit (though compared to a vacuum column one, it might as well be). Many thanks to all for help and diagnoses, especially Dave G. For letting me use his canned air as freeze mist, which confirmed the regulator theory. Also many thanks to Ian for selling me an RL02 at a bargain price!

      It was great seeing a bunch of people that I mostly only know from various mailing lists. I had a really good time, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

      I didn't take too many pictures, but if I decide there are any that are even worth posting on Facebook, I'll link them.

      - Dave
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic