30934Re: [midatlanticretro] WRT VMS: The Gray/Grey Wall

  • Matt Patoray
    May 23 10:46 AM
      Brian,

      I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

      Where is all this located?

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 23, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

      The VMS operating system is vast and therefore, so was its documentation.
      The VMS V5.x documentation set was produced and housed in gray/grey ring-
      binder tomes and, when it sat on shelving, looked like a gray/grey wall;
      hence, the colloquial term: The Gray/Grey Wall. If you are unfamiliar,
      there are approximately 20 tomes each in groupings for programming, user
      and management for a total of approximately 60 tomes. Most of the tomes
      are sub-divided.

      If you, or the museum at InfoAge, are interested in owning your very own
      "Gray/Grey Wall" there's a set available for the asking. Its owner only
      asks only for the cost to ship it, if need be. This set set is/was owned
      by a paragon in VMS development -- no, it's not me in this case -- who has
      quite the history of product development and patent ownership in the VMS
      space; so, sight unseen, I would assume that this set has been well kept
      and maintained over the years.

      If you are interested, contact me and I will put you in contact with the
      party trying to dispense of this set. It must be claimed by the end of
      the month (May 2013) or it will see its demise in the skip.

      FWIW, this set is in Ohio.