30923Re: Retro WiFi

  • s100doctor
    May 22, 2013

      > Herb:
      >
      > IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
      > vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From there,
      > I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do text-only web
      > browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is enormously more powerful
      > than the vintage computer, but I'm just looking for a quick, portable and
      > flexible way to connect to the network.

      Thanks for the explanation and reference to docs. Several years ago, before Linux embedded computers were available, and even before embedded processor "ethernet boards" were available, there was all kinds of chatter and efforts to "run CP/M on the Internet". I gathered up the usual suspects and wrote a Web page about the efforts:

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/cpm_tcpip.html

      ..the open question being, could a CP/M-class computer "handle" a
      TCP/IP "stack"? The answer was "yes, it DID", as part of packet radio in the radio amateur community. Other micros like C64's were used. Later, packet radio "modems" were built with Z80-class technology; then 8035-class microcontrollers. You can still buy TNC's cheap at hamfests, I have a few lying around somewhere.

      But around 2009 when I wrote the note, the "ethernet on a chip" products appeared and those were put to use. Now, it appears, one can just buy "Linux on a chip" and it does it all.

      I'm a little sad that the vintage computer is mostly used as a terminal for "internet" access. But, it works both ways, so in principle one can use the $35 Linux bug as an Internet server and provide Web-to-console-port access to, well, whatever vintage computer has a serial port. I suppose with more effort, the Rasp Pi could more robustly operate a vintage computer, micro or mini. Then Bill Degnan's boast would become a reality: "email sent from my PDP-8".

      Oh, that I'll live long enough....

      Herb Johnson
      not yet PDPetering out
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic