30922Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • David Riley
    May 22, 2013
      On May 22, 2013, at 12:50 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone considered 3D printing the replacement handles and switches? I have access to a printer.

      It's been bandied about on cctalk in recent months. The two problems that most people cited were accuracy of reproduction (texture, color, shape, etc.) and sturdiness. Given the mechanical strain that the switches undergo, the latter seems to be the more valid concern; you can polish down the texture with some acetone or methylene chloride, which are of course not great to breathe.

      If you wanted to print a few out and try them out (or have someone try them out), I very much doubt you'd do any real harm to anything. It would certainly clear up a lot of speculation, and possibly suggest some improvements (e.g. maybe it's best to print or manually drill a hole for a metal pin if you print it rather than trying to make the plastic do all the work). I don't know where to get an accurate model for such a thing, though.

      It's nice to have accurate colors for a display reproduction, but for me, it's generally preferable just to have stuff work.

      - Dave
    • Show all 91 messages in this topic