30904Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • David Gesswein
    May 21, 2013
      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:16:05AM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
      >
      > Ahh, very nice work. The "Straight-8" is a most impressive beast. I presume
      > you just drilled the broken side and didn't go all of the way through,
      > correct?

      Yes, most were only broken on one side.

      > Were the reproduction handles still injection molded? I may see about
      > getting a mold made at some point. Tracking down the right color plastic
      > may be tricky, but I'll see what I can work on. It'd be awesome to have
      > authentic reproductions.

      Yes they are injection molded. The company that owns the mold would make
      more but only if the volume was enough to be worth while. The right color
      is machine specific. If you hold them near each other all my machines
      have different color handles. I don't know if it is aging or poor control
      of plastic batches.

      > I have two controllers for PDP-11 8" floppy drives. Maybe somewhere down
      > the road I can trade those away, assuming they aren't worthless compared to
      > a PDP-8 controller.

      More 11 stuff is still around so they tend to have less value.
    • Show all 91 messages in this topic