30839Re: [midatlanticretro] Decent terminal emulator program for CP/M?

    May 19, 2013
      MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)

      I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
      it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

      In my quest to explore something new, I happened upon MDM800, which
      was not (as one might assume) just a later release of MDM740, but it was
      a bit of a fork. I recall thinking that it was very good, but I no
      longer recall why; this was ~30 years ago.

      All very good software.

      There was also the MDM900 branch, MDM904 maybe? But I recall nothing
      about that, only that it existed and I did run it briefly. I think I
      stuck mainly with MDM800 when I found it and got it running.

      This was all on my S-100 CP/M system; a CCS Z80 board supported by a
      bunch of others...some TDL I/O boards, a Tarbell floppy controller, etc
      all in an IMSAI-8080 chassis. I still have that system, but the drives
      (Shugart SA-801s) and my big box of floppies were lost many years ago.
      (including my oft-consulted "GIRLS.DBF" database that I built under
      dBase-II to catalog all the hotties in my high school! ;))

      I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
      still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
      what it's about.

      -Dave

      On 05/19/2013 03:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

      > Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
      > customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
      > settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.
      >
      > On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
      >

      >> MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world. Works great.
      >>
      >> -Dave
      >>
      >> --
      >> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      >> New Kensington, PA
      >>

      >> On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>> All --
      >>>
      >>> Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.
      >>>
      >>> Thanks!
      >>>
      >>> Rich
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> Rich Cini
      >>> Collector of Classic Computers
      >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
      >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
      >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
      >>>

      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ