30829Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    May 18, 2013
      Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

      >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
      >>> miles of 10b5.
      >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
      >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
      >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
      >>
      >> -Dave
      >>
      >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
      >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
      >had a grounding lug...
      >
      >Dave

      The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
      pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
      but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
      the pipe.

      I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
      for you if you're interested.